I think maybe winter is start to come on the other side of the world which have 4 season while raining is "visiting" most of the city in Indonesia now.
As I ever said before that I love autumn and rainy season more than summer, but as all of you know when the rainy or snow start to visiting us almost every day, there's a few "uncomfortable" situation we have to face.
I will not discussing about the flood in a few city and region which start to happen, or even snowstorm on other country. It just a simple but "dangerous" situation we have to face...
But before that...
Do I ever tell you that I plan a few veggie and even fruit at my backyard?
Just look at that "baby" Paprika!
In 2 weeks they start to bloom a flower and now even a fruit!
So this morning, when I wake up and open the window at my living room, I see that little precious "baby" and in that minute I smile and run to my take my camera!
And No... I'm not spray the paprika. It's pure an effect given by the rain last night :D
Yes, rain sometimes give an extra effect for us, but what to do when the child and cold temperature or even freezing which we have to deal everyday makes us ache or even in pain?
Well... if you asking me, then I will answer... Please, have a hot Soup or... a hot chowder! ;)
- 4 Smoked Beef Ribs (or bacon), sliced
- 700 gram Snapper, fillet (you can tell your butcher to do the fillet for you)
- 750 ml Fish Broth
- 2 medium Onion
- 2 Carrot
- 2 Potato
- 5 Tomato
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 2 Dried Bayleaf
- Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Fillet the fish, and cut the meat part into size bite cubes.
- On a pot, bring to boil 1000ml of water with the fish bone, bayleaf and 1 onion that has cut into 8 part. Low the heat when it start to boiling and cover the lid. Low the heat, shimmer for 30 minutes, Lift from heat, strain, set aside. This is your fish stock.
- In a large bowl, place the tomatoes and pour with a hot boiling water until the tomatoes is covered with the hot water, set aside.
- Cut the onion, carrot and potato into small bite size or into cubes, set a side.
- After 2-3 minutes, lift the tomato from the hot water, cut 1/2 cm deep on side of the core.
- Peel the tomato with your knife lightly, remove the core, cut into chunk, set aside.
- In a pan, fry the smoked beef ribs/ bacon with extra virgin olive oil until start to crisp, lift from the pan, place into a plate layered with kitchen paper to absorb the oil.
- At the same pan and with the oil left from the smoked beef ribs/ bacon, saute the onion until translucent then stir in the carrot, saute for one more minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes and crushed with your mashed potatoes crusher. (when you do this, be careful not to crushed the carrot)
- Saute for a few minutes until the tomatoes disintegrated, then add the fish broth you make earlier, bring to boil.
- Add the potato and tomato paste into the chowder, shimmer until the potato is half cooked.
- Add dry thyme, salt (1 tsp) and paper (1/2 tsp) to taste. Taste, then add more salt if necessary.
- Stir in the fish, cover the pan and keep shimmering for 2-3 minutes until the fish is tender. Lift from heat.
- Serve hot with crisp smoked beef ribs/bacon and parsley on top!
- Enjoy! ;)
I know, you can "see" me from the spoon on the photos!
"unlucky" me or silly me! LOL
But please...Don't serve the chowder with rice...
Have this hot and fresh fish chowder in a big bowl on a rainy day for breakfast or dinner.
The sweet carrot and fish, with potato as the carbohydrate (that's why I said to you not to have this with rice) and all the goodness from the fresh tomatoes and fish broth will rise your body temperature and give you a warm feeling inside your heart :)
Take care and put more clothes on and please... have a hot chowder!
Have a great blessed weekend everyone! ;)
Stay Healthy and Loves Your Kitchen More! ;)
Difficulty : easy
Preparation : 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 55 minutes (including the fish stock)
Serve : 4-5 serving
Adapted from : Primarasa Cookbook