Otak-Otak is one of the famous snack in Indonesia which often serve with spicy peanut sauce.
My husband and my oldest son loves this snack so much. So every time they saw a stall sell it, they will "always" craving and end up buying. Since that time, I learn to make this snack at home.
The original version of otak-otak is warp in banana leaves and grilled and serving with a spicy peanut sauce which stand up the taste of this fish cake.
I remember taking a picture of otak-otak stall at one of the event in Jakarta in a few months ago. It's the second time I attending this event - Jakarta Fashion and Food Festival - which is held 1 a year in one of the mall in Jakarta.
You can find most of Indonesian Food and culinary at the event, just "guard" your camera carefully when you have a chance to attend the event next year because the event is so crowded... *Sigh*
This posting is my entry for a challenge from Indonesian Food Bloggers at Facebook Group which is for Indonesian Snack Challenge or idfb , and also my November entry for Indonesian Food Party by Tata Bonita
So today I try to make an otak-otak in modern way to make it more easier when we can't find the banana leaves on the market.
Let start! ;)
Ingredients (for the filling) :
- 200 gram Mackerel, fillet, process in the food-processor until smooth
- 120-150 ml Coconut Milk
- 1 Egg White
- 1 sdt Salt
- 1/2 sdt White Pepper Powder
- 1 sdt Sugar
- 4 Shallot, finery chopped
- 1 handful Asian Chives, finery chopped
- 3 tbsp Starch
- Directions : put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well until combine.
Ingredients (for peanut sauce) :
- 100 gram Peanut, wash on a running water gently
- 2 pcs Red Hot Chili
- 5 pcs Chili Padi (optional if you can't tolerate spicy)
- 100ml Water
- 1pc Garlic
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Brown Sugar
- 3 tsp Tamarind Water
Ingredients (for the skin) :
- 100 gram All Purpose Flour
- 2 egg
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 300 ml Coconut Milk from 1/4 of Coconut
- 1 egg white (you will need this to make your skin will stick together)
- To make Peanut Sauce :
- Deep fry the peanut until golden brown on medium heat, lift from heat, set aside.
- Fry the chili and garlic on medium heat until garlic change color, ligt from heat, set aside.
- Puree the peanut, chili and garlic with a mortar or you can use a food-processor the the job for you.
- Ones the peanut paste smooth, add salt,paper, tamarind water, mix until combine.
- Stir in water until the sauce is thick enough.
- Set aside, this is your peanut sauce.
- To make the skin :
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, whisk until combine and until no lump.
- On very low heat. apply your non-stick pan with a little of oil.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan. Make a circle same as when you make an omelet, but you have to do this very quick since the batter is easy to stick together and end up with a a thick skin
- Ones edge of the skin start to turn crispy, lift from heat, turn over the skin. Yes, you only need to "fry" the skin on one side only.
- Apply the filling at the top of the skin, then you can follow how to wrap it like shown on the picture above.
- Stick the end of the skin with the egg white.
- Deep fry the otak-otak / fish cake on medium high heat until the skin turn into golden brown.
- Lift from heat. Place on the kitchen paper.
- Serve hot with the spicy peanut sauce.
- Enjoy! ;)
The best part enjoying this fish cake is by dipping the fish cake into the sauce...
Do you dare to dip?
Because it will be messy!
Enjoy the otak-otak for an appetizer or for a snack with whole family gathering around the table and dipping the sauce in "FIGHT"!
That is the best part! ;)
On Friday I'll post a fresh pasta salad recipe but before that...
Have this fish cake with whole family :)
Just *wish-me-luck* for the event will you? :D
See you all Friday foodie!
Stay Healthy & Loves Your Kitchen More! ;)
Difficulty : moderate (while making the skin need more attention)
Preparation : 15 minutes
Cooking Time : 45 minutes
Making : 10 pcs
Adapted from : Jajanan Pilihan by Primarasa Cookbook, Kue Traditional Modern by Sedap Cookbook